Saturday, January 18, 2014

The cats welcome me

Today, in the Skopje "fog?!", I made several trips to my new apartment to bring over the bulk of my belongings. The apartment is about a ten or 15  minute walk from work and the city center. The name of the street on the street signs is long and I have not yet memorized it- I have to make sure I am pronouncing the first letter "X" properly- (Macedonians use the Cyrillic alphabet). When I rented the apartment, I was told it was on Maxim Gorky street. Happily, I passed Lermontov street on the way over- get out of here Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln et al!. At my apartment, I noticed that Maxim Gorky is in quotes. Ah- this is not really the address or the name of the street, although it is. The quotes let everyone know the real name of the street is not real. Good to know. I have an inkling this will insure that I will never be able to get a taxi to drop me off near where I live. Not to mention the street seems to be closed off by a mechanical arm to all traffic except those with a parking card.

Outside the door to my apartment is a welcome mat. Of course, it is a drawing of 2 cats with their paws up over their head in joyful welcome. If cockroaches own NY and we just rent, here the cats own Skopje.

I popped into the local grocery to see what my options might be. it is small but the basics are there. The store plays Lou Reed's Walk on the Wild Side and jazz for the shoppers- and you can buy any type and amount of beer and liquor while shopping for your yogurt ,cheese and olives. And you have a choice of about 45 different types and styles of salami and sausages.

I saw no cats shopping in the grocery. They seem to prefer stalking prey among the rare patches of grass and weeds outside the buildings.

Near to my apartment is a coffee shop. called The Hot and Cold. They have wi-fi and beer "as cold as your ex-girlfriend's heart."

Skopje has it all- don't believe anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment